Sunday, August 24, 2008

Princess party

Yesterday, Shiloh's friend from AWANA, Jayna, had her 5th birthday party - with Snow White making an appearance. Shiloh was just thrilled! Snow White told her story, sang & danced with the girls.




...Meanwhile, the boys were happily playing baseball outside!

I must admit, I'm not too fond of Disney's idea of a princess. I'd rather teach Shiloh about real women who made a difference - Gladys Alwyard, Harriet Tubman, Mary Slessor, Amy Carmichael and others.

Our American idea of "Happily Ever After" is not what I hope Shiloh will be excited by ...
I hope to find other ways to teach her about women who were true princesses ... women who helped advance the Kingdom of God ...
even though she is surrounded by girls who love Disney's idea of a princess! =(


1 comment:

Tisha said...

I agree with you. We really play down the princess idea here, both the Disney version and the 'it's all about me' way of thinking. REAL princesses are very different indeed.