Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Children's Hospital

The last couple of days have been a blur.
After going to the doctor on Saturday ..
Sunday brought about a whole new challenge.
Sawyer reacted negatively to the antibiotic, just like I expected.
It seemed that he was in significant pain.
He cried when we moved him.
He just sat on the couch, not moving, but whining constantly.

Sunday morning
I was grocery shopping, when Steve called me to say he wanted to take Sawyer to the hospital.
As it was Sunday, our choices were a walk-in clinic or the hospital ... hummmmm ...
So, I got home and minutes later Steve and Sawyer were off.
They had a 2 hour wait before being admitted.
Poor Steve, I can only imagine how hard that was.
(and it was just the beginning)

Upon check-in they ---
-- checked his ears and confirmed that both were infected! oh man!
-- took an x-ray of his chest, which showed pneunomia in his left lung! argh!
-- took a blood sample for further testing
-- AND took a urine sample (crazy painful) to figure out why there was blood in his urine
-- determined that he was most definately dehydrated and got him on an IV
-- gave him 1 tsp ibuprofin, followed by 1/2 tsp tylenol 30 mins. later, which finally broke his fever of 104 degrees!
-- started him on a different antibiotic at 6pm, giving it to him through the IV, and told Steve to settle in for the night so they could see how he would respond to it.

Sunday night
I got a babysitter to come over and watch Shiloh and Landon while another friend drove Liberty and me to the hospital. We took Steve dinner and just hung out for awhile. Sawyer slept the entire time. I got home at 11pm, completely shattered, after walking around a parking garage in the dark and then around the hospital in the rain, carrying a car seat, talking on my cell phone to Steve as I looked for the car! Such a bummer.

Monday
-- The urine sample came back negative (of their assumed urinary tract infection)
-- The blood sample - which can take as much as 48 hours to get results back - was not back yet and Sawyer would need to stay another night. WHAT?

Around 4pm, I dropped Shiloh and Landon off at a friends house so I could again go the the hospital and take Steve dinner. We got balloons for Sawyer, but little did I know, latex balloons are not allowed in a hospital ... go figure!!! So annoying. Sawyer was awake and happy!

Landon had sent a ball in a bag for Sawyer Sunday night, "just in case he wants to play with a ball, mom!" he informed me. When Sawyer awoke on Monday, he asked Steve for a ball! Way to go, Landon, you did a great job looking out for brother!

He played with his ball, ate a bit of dinner, watched tv, flirted with the nurse! =) He still wasn't eating or drinking enough to make the hospital staff happy though!
He knocked his IV out at 5:30pm, 30 minutes before his scheduled antibiotic dose. I stayed until they were able to insert another one .. which he was NOT happy about! Liberty and I stayed until 7pm, when we went to Dana's for dinner and to pick up the kids. Home at 9pm, completely exhausted.

Tuesday morning (today)
Sawyer woke up happy, after a restless night's sleep. He'd had a bout with another fever, which doc said he'd have for a few days b/c of the pneumonia. He ate scrambled eggs but still won't drink, which again, won't make the staff happy.

They were supposed to be released today. So, we've been waiting and waiting and waiting. The doc came by briefly with a team and said something about tomorrow. WHAT? Are you kidding me??? Sawyer took a good nap, but awoke with a fever again. Pofin took the edge off and he was sleeping again, last I heard.

Steve has asked for the doctor - but that was about 2 or 3 hours ago.

Grumpiness has set in!
-- Sawyer has mostly recovered.
-- He hasn't reacted to the new antibiotic.
-- His fever is gone ... mostly.
-- He's eating and drinking as much as I would expect him to, considering he still doesn't feel good. Come on, he's not even two.
-- Steve is sick of being there.
-- Sawyer is well enough to be up and around ... getting into mischief.

I'm thinking it's about time to sign some waivers and just get them home, despite doctors orders. The hospital staff has been fabulous and I'm thankful for what they have done. They have helped us ... but are no longer helping us. In fact, I think Sawyer might sleep, eat and drink better if he were home and not in a sterile, cold, unfamiliar environment.

I think I might go crazy before all this is over.
And Steve - I can't imagine how difficult this has been for him. He's not in the comfort of his home. He's been listening to a boy cry and whine for 2 days now. He's not sleeping well. He has missed 2 days of school now ... it's time for him to get back to his life. But with a nursing baby, it's not like I can give him any relief.

I took some photos which I'll post later when I have an update.

No comments: