Saturday, January 17, 2009

Homesick ... for heaven!


Bill Bissell passed away a week ago.
Yesterday, Steve and I went to his memorial service.
It truly was a joyous occasion ... as Bill suffered from dementia.
He had lost his memory, ability to walk, stand, sit up, feed himself...
Mary drove to Kalispell everyday to take care of him.
It was so hard on her - and she often found herself crying on the drive home.

We have all been praying that God would take him home.
And at last - he is home!!!

I have been downloading songs about heaven recently ...
There Will Be A Day by Jeremy Camp
Homesick by Mercy Me
to add to my other favorite -
I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me

As I have thought about Bill these last few days, I find myself in tears ...
not because I'm sad he's gone, but because I wish I could be there with him! (Shawnie, you and I talked about this just before Bill passed away)
I find that the longer I live, the more homesick for heaven I feel.
Oh, what a glorious day that will be!!!

I've copied the lyrics for There Will Be A Day
... it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.


There Will Be A Day
by Jeremy Camp

I try to hold on to this world with everything I have
But I feel the weight of what it brings, and the hurt that tries to grab
The many trials that seem to never end, His word declares this truth,
that we will enter in this rest with wonders anew

(Pre-Chorus)But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings
That there will be a place with no more suffering

(Chorus)There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears
There will be a day when the burdens of this place, will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face
But until that day, we'll hold on to you always

I know the journey seems so long
You feel you’re walking on your own
But there has never been a step
Where you’ve walked out all alone
Troubled soul don’t lose your heart
Cause joy and peace he brings
And the beauty that’s in store
Outweighs the hurt of life’s sting

(Pre-Chorus)(Chorus)

I can’t wait until that day where the very one I’ve lived for always will wipe away the sorrow that I’ve faced
To touch the scars that rescued me from a life of shame and misery this is why this is why I sing

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I hear you sister... wish I was home yesterday... so many yesterdays.

Tisha said...

So very well said Lisa. And, you're right. The longer we're here, the more we yearn to go home. The increasing awareness of the whole world groaning that grows as the years pass is sometimes too much to take. What encouraging and comforting songs you mentioned too!