



I'm on a journey ... a path to dig deeper ...
*Deeper into my own heart and the ugliness that lies therein.
*Deeper into the life of Christ through the study of the Gospels and other authors who are more knowledgeble than I.
I hope that as I learn more about myself and more about Jesus that my life would be radically transformed by who He is.
The books pictured here are ones I've picked up in the last 3 weeks. Each of them has already challenged me in their own way.
I am not one who likes to surrender. I have my own hopes and dreams and I don't want anyone or anything to take those away - my husband or Jesus included.
I'm only 2 chapters into Kay Warren's book and WOW! Here are just a few quotes ...
--"Surrender is a dirty word to many of us. It has mostly negative connotations. Surrender implies failure ... no wonder we avoid talking about surrender. It's not attractive to those who see themselves as strong. One of the most deeply held illusions of Westerners is that we are tough and independent and quite sure that we don't need anyone else. We carry these illusions over into our spiritual lives as well, and doing so keeps many from following Christ." - Kay Warren
--"I learned that faith isn't tested by how often God answers my prayers with a yes but by my willingness to continue serving Him and thanking Him, even when I don't have a clue as to what He is doing." -Gary Thomas
--"The biggest block to our surrender is not our appetites and wayward desires but our addiction to running our own lives." -Gary Thomas
--"The Kingdom of Me ...
Not only do I seek complete control of everything around me, but my greatest and deepest love is reserved for ME. I am desperately in love with MYSELF. If I am completely honest, I have to admit that there are many times when I want the world to revolve around ME - MY comfort, MY pleasure, MY convenience. I desire that others see and interpret everything through MY eyes, make ME happy, meet MY needs, and refrain from offending ME, hurting ME, wounding ME, upsetting ME, or irritating ME. I want to be understood, appreciated, acknowledged, elevated, praised, valued, attended to, catered to, respected, admired, accommodated, listened to, loved, adored and cherished." - Kay Warren
Double ouch! I think I spend far too much time in the Kingdom of ME.
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing your journey to dig deeper. Great post! "The kingdom of me" is something I've been thinking a lot about lately too. Ouch is right. Thanks also for sharing the books.
Quite an impressive reading list! Good for you for digging in.
Okay, stop that! That is way too convicting. It is such a good reminder. Really, thank you.
Post a Comment