Friday, June 25, 2010

The Road to Wisdom

Veggie Tales -- Lyle the Kindly Viking
maybe you've seen it.
As a mom of four, I've seen it MANY times.

I remember Shiloh and Landon watching it at a very young age.
They enjoyed the music and the visual activity.
They understood very little of it ... just simply enjoyed it.

Now, they are 7 and 5 1/2.
After watching it yesterday (after quite a long time), they were full of questions.

"Is a viking good or bad?"

"Why did the big bad viking sing, 'What's up with Lyle'?"

"Why did the vikings take things from the pees and Lyle gave them potholders and money?"

Now, they are seeing good vs. bad, wrong vs. right.
They identified that they liked Lyle, but not the vikings ... until they became good in the end.
Lyle is no longer just a form of entertainment, but a means to teach them a Biblical truth.

There are other points of learning that will come as they hit another milestone in their growth ... as they see more in the video and have more clarifying questions.


I was struck with the parallels in my relationship with God.

As I've been taking the Dynamics in Biblical Change through CCEF, I have been forced to dig DEEP and look at the dark corners of my heart ... asking God to shine His light and help me go deeper with Him. I have gained a greater understanding of His character as I have asked questions from a new perspective.

I am a different person today than I was five years ago, or even a year ago. The things God has shown me the past 3 months would have fallen on deaf ears and closed eyes before now. I see Him through different eyes as I grow in age, maturity and wisdom

... just as my kids see Lyle through new eyes in age, maturity and wisdom.

2 comments:

Coach Mom said...

I love Veggie Tales. Madame Blueberry has really helped our family put a visual to being "cheerful"...or as we say, "with a happy heart."

Eileen said...

I remember the first time you saw a Veggie Tale. Of course you were not 7 or 5.5 - you were about 21. Shawn and I put you in front of the tv while we shopped around the Christian bookstore. It worked like a charm - you watched and we shopped. ;o)