Thursday, December 3, 2009

Turn Around

This is the Landers family. Jody is Jay & Laurie Lorenzens' daughter. We worked with Jay and Laurie when we were at the AFA. Jody married Andy and they moved to Iowa. Andy is a worship leader - and led many worship sessions for Military Ministry at conferences. Jody is the founder of Water4Christmas. She is a mother to 4 homegrown boys and adopted twins from Sierra Leone just over a year ago. She is an inspiration to me. Her heart for the suffering is deep and beats near to the heart of our Father. I read her blog often and am moved by who she is and what she's about.

She went to see Blind Side and this is what she wrote about it. I thought it was so good, I wanted to copy it here.

So yeah ... I went to see Blind Side ... by myself.

And here's my favorite part.

They are driving in their car, see something, ask a question, keep driving.

And then she says, "Turn around."

Turn around.

Something is not right.

And they turned around. Went back.

And their family's life changed.

A boy's life changed.

A school changed.

A football team changed.

A community changed.

And unknown numbers of people are hearing the story.

Because they turned around.

My mind has been flashing to those moments in my own life.

The moments when I saw something. Perhaps asked a question. And then kept driving. Kept moving to the next thing. The moments when I didn't look back. When I didn't pause. When I didn't turn around.

You could feel it in the movie as the music swelled and camera zoomed. You knew that this was the moment that things changed for this family. The moment they turned around, there was no going back. This was it.

Yes, it's true ...

Life is the most full when we turn around.

We flip the car around. We refuse to keep going. We do not allow ignorance.

We embrace the suffering of others.

Two words

and everything changed.

"Turn around."

2 comments:

Shawn said...

guess I better get to the cinema sooner than later... ;o) I enjoyed Jody's insight.

Eileen said...

Wonderful insight. Can't wait to see the movie - but our social calendar is filling up - PTL. I just love parties and Christmas programs, so it might have to wait until after Christmas.