Friday, February 15, 2008

What to do ...???

The kids decided they didn't want to learn how to swim.
Landon simply refused to get in the water because he didn't want to put his head underwater.
Shiloh decided she didn't like having a boy teacher - she wanted a girl.
So, they both sat on the edge of the pool, refusing to move.

Yes, classes are already paid for - with no refund offered.
But mostly, their refusal to get in the water left us both feeling highly frustrated.

What do I do ??
I can't really FORCE them to get in the water.
And I don't want their experience to be so negative that they won't try again later.
Do I just wait until they are older??? Say 6 and 7 years old?

4 comments:

Tisha said...

Oh boy, that's funny. Funny, because it's your kids and not mine.
No kidding, you can't force them. Not without looking like a crazy, pregnant lady pushing her toddlers into the pool : ) Maybe it's a lesson in dealing gracefully with what you can not control?? I've heard of this kind of thing from other moms...failure to participate in activities that were meant to be fun. I be looking forward to hearing how you handle it!!
Now that was helpful, wasn't it?

~Kim said...

Oh, boy, I can imagine how frustrating that was for all of you. I don't really have the answer. You can tell them they don't have to put their face in if they don't want to. Usually they get them to blow bubbles and before they know it they are going under more and more, and it is fun. Maybe if Shiloh justs sits on the edge and watches, she may decide she can join in? I don't know. It is tricky because you don't want it to become this huge thing they hate or are afraid of. I feel for you! Please let us know how it all turns out.

SoHappyTogether said...

Rebekah didn't want to put her face in the water at her first swim lessons either. I had her try it at bath time. That helped. Bummer for you, though.

Rebekah is a great swimmer now; Shiloh and Landon will be too someday, and they will laugh at this story when they are older. And maybe (possibly??) by then you will laugh too!

Joan V said...

Bummer! I can imagine how frustrating that must be. Matthew has been of and on when it comes to swimming. Have you considered rewards for small steps? Maybe if they get into the second step they get a reward, then get their whole body wet, etc. Just a thought. Reverse psychology seems to work with Matthew sometimes too. Like the other Moms, I'll be listening for the outcome - maybe it'll be my turn soon and I'll need your creative thinking :-)