Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Into the Wild

My friend, Joan, had this quote on her blog. She has some great thoughts on it, which I will not write here, but you can read them on her blog http://www.joanvandewater.blogspot.com/

The quote is from Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - an excerpt from a letter written by Chris McCandles (the main character) to his friend Ron. I liked it so much - I decided to steal it from her! =) Thanks, Joan.

"...I think you really should make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previoiusly never have thought of doing or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventerous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living sprit is his passion for adventure."

This quote reminds me of the principles Eldridge wrote of in his book Wild At Heart. Good stuff!

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I like that quote, too. I was thinking "wild at heart" while I was reading it, too -- so funny that you said the same thing.

I'd sort of like to see the Pirates movie, but unfortunately my little girl hasn't shown much interest. I'll have to wait for Lily.

Congratulations to you and Landon on his big boy pants!

Joan V said...

Lisa, I hadn't made the correlation between the quote and Wild at Heart. I've read the book - maybe that is part of the reason this quote stood out to me.